A leader who signs the Accord would be committing the organization to "re-establish what it means to be an 'evangelical Christian' in a day when long-held, traditional beliefs, convictions and lifestyles are rapidly changing; and to help establish a coalition of pastors and leaders who are willing to stand together and act on these stated convictions." (From the WCCA website
The question posed above, "Will the EMCC sign the accord?" is a question not easily answered until EMCC leadership have considered such questions as:
- How did Jesus think about, speak about and engage with social issues and the political system of His day? What are the implications of the answer to this question for the EMCC today?
- What are the upside and downside consequences of accords like the WCCA?
- What do we need to remember and learn from such faith-based political movements as the Rev. Jerry Falwell led "moral majority"?
- Is the language of the Accord in alignment with the statements of belief of the EMCC and do they define our beliefs about the state of evangelicalism in Canada, gender identity and human sexuality?
- If the EMCC does not sign the WCCA then how should we disciple our people to engage with social, political and other issues the Accord raises?
Depending on the answers to questions such as these we, the EMCC, have a decision to make. The decision to be made is, "What view does the EMCC hold of the WCCA and how will we engage with its invitation to join the coalition?"
Toward a decision I am asking two groups of leaders to review the WCCA offering their perspective to be considered by the EMCC Board of Directors. The two groups of leaders are: a.) the EMCC Issachar Group; and b.) The EMCC Thinking Biblically theology commission.
I am also asking Pastor leaders and Boards of EMCC churches to delay signing the Accord. The reason for this request is to give opportunity to EMCC leadership to provide guidance to pastors and leaders based on the five questions posed above. This guidance is vital to discipling our people into both immediate and long-term engagement with the issues aroused by the WCCA.
Thank you for considering my request. You can anticipate receiving guidance on the WCCA after the November 8-10 EMCC National Board meetings